Saturday, July 4, 2009

Days 1, 2, 3, and 4...pure awesome!


Sorry for the long delay guys, but I've been really busy these first few days and was kind of under the impression that the only way for me to access the internet was via the internet cafe that's 4 blocks away from my dorm (and I hadn't really had a chance to visit it until today). Buut, apparently I can get free wireless from my room too so, heh what do you know? Anyway, I'll try to write as much as I can without being boring...

Day 1: The flight went well, considering I did it all by myself! go me! Anyway, the only bad part, really, was that my in flight movie (instead of it being Duplicity with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen) was that remake of Witch Mountain with the Rock. Not the best movie ever, but it did kill about 2 hours...out of a 8.5 hour flight.

When I landed at Charles de Gaulle a few other kids and myself were picked up by a worker at the program (ISS) and took a bus to the 15th arrondissement (where we're staying). Flight went well. It was super long, but I got here safely (and all by myself!). After we had eaten lunch and had gotten a brief orientation (we were the first group of kids to arrive), they let us walk to the Eiffel Tower as a group (it's about a 25 minute walk). We sat on the steps, under the shade and next to the mist machine, for like 2 hours and ate really delicious ice cream. It was pretty much one of the best experiences of my life, for sure. We had dinner at the foyer: turkey with a blackberry sauce, green beans, cous cous, other stuff, dessert. The food here is SOOOO good, it's actually ridiculous. Then later in the evening we took the metro to the Notre Dame and walked to the Sorbonne and that area. It was really pretty. BTW, Paris is super hot and humid. I'm burning all the time. REALLY HOT OUT HERE! And even worse, neither the metro nor the buses have air conditioning, so it can get really ridiculous.

Day 2: We took a bus to the Luxembourg Gardens. Me and my friend just sat by the pond and chilled for about a half an hour under the shade. It was very peaceful and relaxing. Later in the evening, we took a boat ride along the Seine. OMG it was gorgeous!!!! We got to see the Eiffel Tower while it was glittering as we were finishing the tour. The Seine was great. People were just sitting along the banks and eating and talking and dancing. I love it here! Check this pic I accidentally took of this guy totally picking his nose (I was trying to get a pic of the Eiffel Tower, but this is 10 times funnier).

Day 3: Started French classes, taught by a fellow named Thierry. He's really awesome, very vibrant and energetic, very enthusiastic. Then I had my elective (art and architecture); so we went back to the Notre Dame via metro (which I'm pretty sure I'm getting the hang of now) and studied it for a bit. It's totally awesome (reminds me of Civ class, but a thousand times better!). Finally, we got to the CSL portion of the day. Along with two other students, I am working in an elderly center, visiting and talking to people. We only had an orientation on day 3, so we didn't actually do anything, but I really liked the vibe at the place. It seems like it'll be a really great place to work, I'm really pumped. There's even a native Parisien around our age (just graduated high school) who will be working with us there, so it should be good. After another amazing dinner, we headed to the Champs Elysees and walked to the Arc de Triomphe. Then we walked UP the thing (one of the most strenuous things of my life, lemme tell you. Those stairs are ridiculous) and got an amazing view of the city at sunset. Captured a vid of the Eiffel Tower while it was twinkling.

Day 4: Tried and failed to send emails to everyone at the internet cafe, then later found out you could get free internet from the dorms. Went to the Sacre Coeur and the Moulin Rouge. After our 4th of July barbecue in the garden me and a few buddies went to the Seine to go dancing. Awesome!


Till next time,
Megan

PS- it's getting late here, so I'll post some more pics tm or asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment