Sunday, July 19, 2009

Days 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 (yikes!)

Sorry guys for not posting in a while. I had a very eventful week! Here goes:

July 13- For my art/architecture class we went to the Centre Pompidou (the art museum) to see a Calder collection, as well as Picasso, Matisse, Braque, Duchamp, etc. (Cubism, dada, Fauvism, etc.). It was really, really cool. Out of all of the places and museums I've been to so far, Pompidou is definitely in my top 3. Unfortunately, no photography was allowed in the building, so I don't have any pics. But it was really awesome, and I would definitely go back again. (Plus it's free if you're under 18, so...)

Here's a pic of the view from the top of Pompidou, though:



July 14- Bastille Day!! We went to the Champs de Mars (spelling?)- basically that greenery right where the Eiffel Tower is. We arrived at around 9:30 and stayed until 12 AM. It was really, really fun. And super packed! There were around 800,000 people there!!! First, there was a concert by this apparently really famous French singer named Joanie Holiday or something like that (the equivalent of our Elvis), and then came the fireworks. It was a really cool firework show. They had some cool lighting effects that were actually pretty trippy. They somehow made it seem like the Eiffel Tower was twisting and turning in on itself at one point. It was overall really cool. There were so many people there, though, that it took us an hour to walk back home when it usually takes like 20 minutes!

July 15- For community service we went bowling! American style bowling, that is by Gare Montparnasse. It was SUPER fun. I was actually better than I thought I was. We went with some older people and with some kids our age. Then we found a flea market right outside of the train station. It was really cute. I bought a watch and a belt and a poster from there. Had pizza at a nearby restaurant for dinner.

July 16- Went to Musee d'Orsay, where they have a lot of Impressionist paintings, like Monet, Van Gogh, etc. But the museum's artwork spans the years starting from 1850 until 1904. So there was also realism and other stuff. We saw Renoir, Degas, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, Courbet, etc. I recognized some paintings that we learned about in Civ class too! THat was exciting. I think I prefer Pompidou though, but Orsay was nice. This is the place that used to be a train station but got converted into an museum.

July 17- For community service we visited with a handicapped guy who had a really prodigious music collection. I took a pic with some of his LP's too, because they were that awesome.

July 18- I woke up early and ran to the Eiffel Tower and back at around 8 in the morning. It was a really good 30 minute jog/run. It was extremely beautiful- the sun wasn't too warm yet and it was still pretty cool, and there were absolutely no tourists at the Eiffel Tower. It was very nice. Then I came back home, ate, showered, went out grocery shopping at the produce stores. I also bought a really cute handbag. Then I went to a flea market and tried to bargain with a guy to lower the price of one of his pieces of artwork, but I guess my bargaining skills are lacking because he wouldn't budge. oh well :(

Then I went back home again and did some more grocery shopping (i.e.- veggies, cheese, and a baguette) in order to make my own pasta (I took a pic so you all won't doubt me). Then I did some more shopping and bought some really cute shoes and a scarf. Shoes from a store and scarf from a flea market.

Annnnd, I had ratatouille last night for dinner when we went out to eat. It was very delicious. For dessert I had like a melba peach or something. It was ice cream with a peach. But it was very delicious!

July 19- We took a trip to Versailles! It was really huge and very crowded, but extremely extravagent. Took plenty of pictures. The gardens were beautiful, and we came at a really good time because they had just turned on the fountains (they're not on all the time because there isn't enough water pressure in the area to keep the fountains going all day).

No comments:

Post a Comment